[pct-l] Tarptent in heavy rain

Steve,

I just returned from completing the John Muir Trail and used the Virga
Tarptent with no problems.  I had one night of heavy rain during a
thunderstorm at Lake Virginia and stayed completely dry as well as all my
gear. (my two friends however both got wet in their bivy sack and Sierra
designs tent respectively!) I have the sewn-in flooring in my tarptent. I
did notice a bit of water wicking down the sides of the bug netting but it
never came close to getting on the ground sheet.  The condensation can be a
bit annoying on the inside of the tarp when getting dressed, but can be
greatly reduced if you sleep with the front door open, (there's no bugs in a
rainstorm!). With the "beak" down and doors open I was even able to cook
dinner in the midst of another rainstorm near Mather pass. I'm only 5'-8" so
I can just barely sit up without hitting my head at the front of the tarp.
Also, I keep my sleeping bag directly in the center of the tarp so that it
doesn't touch either side of the netting or top. You also want to make sure
to guy out the two sides of the tarp using the provided loops, just not too
tight or it will pull the ridgeline down a bit. Another trick I learned
during the rainstorm is that when the tarp begins to sag due to the weight
of water and condensation, I just adjusted my trekking pole,(used for front
pole) so that it was longer, which tightened up the ridgeline enough to take
the sag out!

It sounds to me like you may be just too tall for the Virga? Your only
option may be to get the Squall instead. It would be much roomier for one
person and possibly a little taller so you could sit up in it?

Good luck,

Brian Bowlsby
PCT 2004