[pct-l] Digital vs. "Regular" Cameras: a weight comparison(PlusHow to back up on the trail?)

> but I may be tempted to go for a CD writer like this
> http://www.splitimagephoto.com/Printers.htm
> Has anyone tried using one of these on the trail?
> I see the advantages of this over a portable hard drive are that you
don't
> have all your eggs in one basket.  If you lost the hard drive that
would
> be it, but you could easily send home CD's at little cost as you go,
> infact the media is cheap enough to write two copies and send in
different
> packages if you were at all worried about the postal service losing
one.

This device looks interesting.  I found a more informative link at
http://www.dvd-rwmedia.com/apacer-discsteno-cp100.html
What would be great is if places along the trail had them.  They could
buy them and charge a fee to use them (<$5).  This strategy is very
doable on the AT, but are there enough hiker friendly places along the
way on the PCT?  I figure I'd only need one every 300 - 400 miles so I'd
bet it could work in that respect.  Also do you think the economics
could work?  Are there enough hikers with digital cameras willing to pay
$5 for the service to make it worthwhile?

Chris