Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 11:19 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Tarptent in heavy rain

However, the bug netting is a pain in heavy rain.  The netting sticks out
from the sides of the tarp no matter how much you mess with it when pitching
it.  So rain that runs down the side of the tarp hits the netting and gets
is wicked (as in "wicking" not like a "wicked" witch) into the interior of
the tarp.  At places where the groundsheet touches the netting, water
literally pours in.

 The problem then remains the size
of the tarp.  I can't move around much without hitting the walls. (I'm tall
but I'm skinny so that's not the problem).  This not only knocks down
condensation onto all my gear and myself, but it messes up the
rock/groundsheet system so I have to always make sure its set up right. In
long, prolonged rain, I think I would go crazy trying to stay dry.

Has anyone else had similar problems?  Any feedback or comments?

Steve