[pct-l] Old Book Review - Pacific Crest Trails by Joseph Hazard

> He takes stands on trail races; "One who races alone or in competition
upon a
> mountain trail is deaf, dumb, and blind to all that is worthwhile in a
> mountainous region.  The poetry of a flower and the perfection of a tree
will not
> turn his glance from the trail at his flying feet.  A wild animal or a
bird sees
> him a being gone berserk, while he, in turn, will not even see the animal
or
> bird."

...in other words: "be like me or don't hike."   Sounds like another crusty
but loveable old duffer, ala Harvey Manning.  I'd take their Depression Era
advice with a hefty dose of salt; remember, for example, that Harvey's
advice on diet, taken from one of his "100 Best Hikes" books was not to
bother with food on any hike shorter than two days.