[pct-l] Old Book Review - Pacific Crest Trails by Joseph Hazard

Written in 1946, this is a classic with tons of great info pertinent today as
it was when written.  I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book right now
and just have to herald it.  Hazard has an interesting way of writing and knows
how to weave in the occasional historical story or amusing mountain story.

He takes stands on trail races; "One who races alone or in competition upon a
mountain trail is deaf, dumb, and blind to all that is worthwhile in a
mountainous region.  The poetry of a flower and the perfection of a tree will not
turn his glance from the trail at his flying feet.  A wild animal or a bird sees
him a being gone berserk, while he, in turn, will not even see the animal or
bird."

He talks about the creation of the concept of the PCT based upon the AT, and
in doing takes a small stab at the AT; "These unified trails of our eastern
seaboard wander along divide lands that are historic, that constitute part of
our country's past, and that do a grand job of making escape possible from the
drab sameness of so-called civilization.  They offer 2,050 miles of the
excitements of isolation.  How they can escape so successfully from the smut of
furnace and smelter, the harsh hoot of whistle or horn, is an unsolved puzzle to us
in the Pacific West."

He talks about the aethetics of the wilderness travel on foot; "I came out
seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, and tasting things of the physical world
more keenly.  There was more zest for hard problems, more faith in the goals of
the intellect.  The impulses toward friendly human contacts were stronger.
Lingering with a warm glow of sane faith was the conviction that the earth is a
real home - that beyond earth is a benign harmony of the whirling spheres."

He also gives great stories of early climbs of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, St.
Helens, Mt. Adams and many in Canada.  His experiences and appreciation of the
land seep through in every chapter.

Pick up a copy if you can find one on ebay or amazon.  It is worth what you
pay for it and more!

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel