[pct-l] uppity hikers are part of the problem - oh yes -not

At 12:04 PM 3/26/03, matt maxon wrote:
>I never advocated "shooting", or imploying the other extremely violent
>measures you mentioned against OHVer's .

I love the section before Tehachipi were most of the carsonite stakes that
used to have the "no motorcycles" stickers had been shortened with a
shotgun convently removing the sticker.

Not all OHVers are jerks, but enough of them are, and their machines are so
destructive, that can be a real problem. And those that are jerks **HATE**
being told they can't ride somewhere. For example most hate the fact that
50 square miles (out of 1000 sq miles) of the Algodones Sand Dunes near
Glamis (about 50 miles east of Campo) are off limits to them, set aside
asWilderness area.

Here is what an OHV publication says
http://www.glamisonline.org/Editorials/50squaremiles.asp

Here is the  BLM's view:
"The infamous and growing Algodones melees are giving off-road enthusiasts
throughout California a bad name. BLM rangers have been threatened and had
dune buggies attempting to run them over. They have had beer bottles and
bags of fecal matter thrown at them by crowds chanting "kill the cops."
Management of the dunes has become so dangerous that a recent Department of
Interior "Law Enforcement Special Evaluation" concluded that Algodones is
"unsafe for family recreation activity due to the use of drugs and alcohol,
and the problems of lawlessness that occur with such use." It recommended
that BLM rangers be issued riot helmets, batons, and gas masks for their
own safety. "

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/swcbd/goldenstate/images/algodonesLESE1.PDF