[pct-l] More Hikers for 2003

Get Ray Jardine's books (only "Beyond Backpacking") is now in print. He
describes "getting in shape".

Basically, however, the plan is to start training hikes at least 6 months
before the trip starts, adding more miles (that also means time) and weight
every week. Start just a few times a week and work up to almost every day.
Since you don't want to carry more than 30 lbs (including food and water),
that would be the max weight.

This way, you condition yourself and test your equipment (shoes and pack;
hiking stick, etc.).

Your hikes should take you on varied terrain (up and down hills) but on
trails. Two things are hard to prepare for, depending on where you live:
heat and altitude. Also, remember, on the hike you will be going 10 hours
per day, day after day. Practice rest stops, stretching, changing socks,
etc. Remember - your feet will expand, so make sure your shoes have lots of
room in the toe area.

And even with the training, expect to become fatigued and have some foot
problems. But, with training you will be able to feel better at the
beginning.
Good training.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR