Re: [pct-l] raw food

There is one question I have on enzymes and raw food. Isn't true that the
pancreas produces enzymes to break down food. Saliva glands too. If raw food
has the enzymes already present to break them down during digestion, then why
is a pancreas or saliva glands even necessary in animals such as deer that
never eat anything but raw food? Is it because ALL the enzymes required
aren't present in raw food and therefore we are doomed to degenerate due to
digestion no matter what? I read somewhere that the less you eat (to a point
-- anorexics excluded), the longer you live and therefore one should exist on
a near starvation diet as long as you get the bare minimum of vitamins,
minerals, and calories necessary for metabolism. What's all this got to do
with the PCT? Maybe it explains why even though I came to what appeared to be
an emaciated state, I still had more than enough energy to hike 20 + miles a
day towards the end of the journey and never felt anemic at all.

To:            saskia.home@wanadoo.nl, pct-l@backcountry.net