Re: [pct-l] Re: Defiant rancher once more loses grazing case, may now go to jail

> The answer, of course, is very simple. Force a rancher to pay $100 per
head,
> per year to use the land. Economically it makes no sense for him to
> continue. Force the logger to pay a real price for the lumber, force him
> clear the stumps and force him to only cull, not clearcut the trees and it
> is economically unattractive for him to continue.  Force the packer to pay
> $20 per day, per horse to enter public land and there is a lot less horse
> shit on the trail. Plus, return all that money to the forest.
>
> And, oh yes, every backpacker pays $100 per year to use the land. "No, No,
> No", the backpacker cries. "It's my right." Can't you see that you are
> playing right into the logger and rancher's hand?

Tom:

We're in total agreement on this issue. (I still think there's a place for
government in our society, but that's a different thread!) Somehow I misread
your earlier posts to say that public land should be available free of
charge for anyone to do what they want. Though I'd love to avoid paying user
fees (e.g., for forest use), fairness dictates that I should pay them if I
expect the rancher/logger/miner to do the same.

Carl

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net