Re: [pct-l] Esbit stoves

At $1/oz  thats = $128 gallon!

Of course; but that implies for long trip fuel cost is very high as
compared to gasoline
which is about 1.1 cents/oz.  A factor of over 10.

But then, if the sg is lower, and using apothecaries' measure you only have
12 ounces to the pound (!!) which is 240 pennyweight or 144 scruples if I
converted correctly.  :-) or in other words, 38 drams. Not much at all to
carry.

;-)

Seriously though:

Unleaded gasoline works same as Coleman fuel if it is what I think you are
buying.
($3.49 gal? vs. $1.40)-- I traveled all through Europe and US on unleaded
and my MSR.
Although Coleman may have been cheaper in France and Switzerland, I did not
see it to compare. (Did not really look that hard though as I spent most time
in Alps and small towns and just refilled my liter bottles with gas when
needed.)

I have not thought of Chamonix and Zermat for a while...what fond
memories--- they
have  a  very short trail that goes from Mt Blance to the Matterhorn- I
think it was
only 50-60 miles- not even a sneeze compared to our PCT, AT, CT and even JMT.
But it was *so* beautiful- and you can get very spoiled with the Huttes! I
fullfilled my goal
of climbing those peaks last summer and I am ready to return! If anyone is
thinking of
going, do drop me a line.

Resupply is so much easier in the Alps as rarely are the huts off-trail
by more than a kilometer or so...And the gorgeous signposts! I definitely
got into a love-hate
relationship (ya know-- 20 more km to go, 15 to go, etc etc)..I am glad we
don't
organize ours that way to such detail...but ya gotta watch out-- our
National Fraternal Service  people
could redo and resign the PCT with modern/European signage anyday now since
the bigwigs
at NPS just completed (at taxpayer expense) an all-expense paid visit
(again!- I understand)
to Europe to look at European forest and trail management
techniques)...yeah, right!
But there are immensely more wild flowers, prettier avalanche chutes, etc
ad nauseam!

Quite a segue from stoves, I know.

:-))

-Rich