Re: [pct-l] Radio in the backcountry

I hiked all the way to Tahoe before picking up a walkman. I was feeling worn
down by that point on the thru-hike and thought a walkman might provide a
bit of a spark. It was quite nice to wander down the trail listening to
tunes for a change. I even picked up some sports events like the US open
finals. That was nice entertainment.

I would put the walkman in my drift box and send it ahead for a week or two
at various stations. When I got it back, it was like it was brand new again.
Plus it let me balance times between tuning into the forest without the
radio, and having fun when I had it.

Some fellow hikers had a shortwave radio with a speaker in it. When we took
in lunch they would turn it on and it was great fun. Any music is great when
you're on the trail. Even stupid ridiculous songs provided great
entertainment when we all got to singing.

Troubadour
www.pcthiker.com