[pct-l] Esbit stoves

>only $10 for the stove along with 3 oz of fuel, the fuel is expensive
>at almost $1/oz

That is one disadvantage of Esbit stoves. The other disavantage I see is
scarcity of fuel. Few places stock them and many mail order places seem
to run out of the tabs.  At least for alcohol stoves, the fuel is readily
availble in just about every town. (Be it a general store, convenience
store, or hardware store..wether denatured alcohol or HEET type products,
both are readily available).

I like the Esbit stove. Just wish the fuel was not so expensive and
scarce.  That is what leads me to use the Mayer-Robinson tuna can
stove...

Interesting little note. Needed to pick up some Coleman fuel the other
dayfor my Whisperlite that I use for winter hiking. The clerk in the
camping dep at Walmart said I was lucky toget a gallon. Seems the Coleman
fuel sells out almost as soon as it comes in. Why?  The "Y2K" scare of
course.. :-D     Looking forward to buying some cheap gear come this
April at garage sales ;-)

Mags

"..and felt indeed as if I was truly repaid for the toil and pain of the
day, so much will a  good shelter, a dry bed, and comfortable supper
revive the sperits of the wayred, wet and hungry traveler."

----- from the journal of Meriwether Lewis