[pct-l] Feet

Right on, Beth.  I had to quit in '94 for the same reasons.  Now, after 6
years of personal experimentation, I hope to have the chance to try again
in 2000.  Don't give up!

Now that I am concentrating on stretching my "back side" as you listed
below, I see how tight I really am in general. I'm sure that's a major
factor in foot problems.

My experience in these six years tells me that running shoes should be far
better than boots for foot pain, at least for me.  I've been through many
boots and running shoes trying to find a couple of pair that work with my
feet and orthotics, and after 6 years have found only one brand of running
shoes and one pair of boots that work.  And my pack is much lighter now,
and I'm not done yet.

And, of course, the extra fat :-(

Don't give up!

-- Dave

<<
I am another hiker who had to stop hiking because of foot pain.  We had
hiked over a thousand miles in 98 when the threat of permanent injury-not
being able to hike again-made me realize I had better quit.  My problem was
My plan for hiking without foot pain:  !. Lower pack weight.  Besides the
pack itself and its contents, I could remove about ten pounds of just plain
fat.  2.  Stretch.  Achilles, calf, hamstrings, gluteus, back.  3.  Find
the
best footwear for my feet.  We wore running shoes, but now I wonder whether
boots would have been better.

I have two and a half years to try these things out before we take another
thru-hike attempt in 2002.

Beth