Re: [pct-l] Feet

"David B. Stockton" wrote:

>> Now that I am concentrating on stretching my "back side" as you listed
> below, I see how tight I really am in general. I'm sure that's a major
> factor in foot problems.

I too had foot (and knee) pain that made hiking a fairly teeth gritting
exercise.  I've told this story before, so I'll make it short.  I went
to a sports medicine doctor at the Univ. of Washington student health
center and he pushed and pulled, had me get into all sorts of
uncomfortable positions, and pronounced after 45 minutes that the
problem with my knees, the first visit, and feet, the second visit, was
"tight buns."  My gluteus minimus (and hamstring) muscles were so tight
to be 95% dysfunctional.  Other muscle groups made up for their
tightness, and hence pain with knees and plantar.

Two weeks of two stretching exercises got rid of my knee pain, which
included swelling.  Once the knee pain went away I stopped stretching
every day (laziness).  After the second visit to the doctor and a gentle
chiding, four weeks of stretching religiously got rid of the heel pain.

Jeffrey Olson
Laramie Wyoming...