Re: [pct-l] BTU's

In a message dated 11/20/99 3:54:51 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
goforth@cio.net writes:

<<  I suspect that the white gas
 stoves have  too large of a flame to be really efficient, and you end up
 using a lot more fuel to boil the same amount of water than if you were
 using an alcohol stove . >>

That's not the drift I'm getting.  In 3500 trail miles (usually 4-6 day
stretches) with an msr internationale and an 11 oz. fuel bottle I've never
run out of fuel.  I normally boil two cups in the morning and at least three
at night. probably as important it has never broke down, I have a repair kit
that has never been opened and unless I'm going through a difficult section,
I send it ahead.

Still, I like Roy's idea of decreasing weights and the simplicity of the
alcohol stove.

One home made job I saw recently was the 1/2 inch bottom of two beer cans
fitted into each other with holes poked into the top side, fiberglass in the
middle as a wick (probably saved in spillage too) a one pound coffee can cut
down to about half size as the pot holder and air port with a msr wind
screen.  Nice!

Given the time and inclination, it's a wonderful idea to try and reach max
performance.  Kind of like hiking itself (or any other endeavor).

Peace,  Sly