-----Original Message-----
From: Owen Kittredge [mailto:owenk@quiknet.com]

Backpacker filters do not remove chemicals,

Filters with carbon elements do remove organic chemicals ! That is why carbon
filters are used to treat water contaminated with gasoline. But carbon filters
will not remove dihydrogen oxide a very dangerous chemical that if can cause
death if one is exposed to with for an extended period without oxygen.
Additionally it is found in all lakes in the Sierra.

Owen K