[pct-l] Affording a long-distance hike

>"R.J. Baynum" <rjbaynum@nidlink.com> wrote:
>Hi, I was wondering, how can some people take off, and >just do the
trail? What do you do for a living?

Save, save, save!  I work at an average job when not hiking and don't
spend money on things like buying CDs, extraneous clothes, restaurant
meals, new furniture, computer (use the libraries'), cable tv ($600/yr
where I live), expensive vacations (backpacking and canoeing is cheap),
new car, etc.  I live in a nice place that you wouldn't think was owned
by a semi-nomadic homeless person :-) and lead a "normal" life that
again would not lead you to think I was a trail fanatic, but I don't
spend money on things not directly related to my next planned
adventure.....I'd be a lot wealthier now if I hadn't done a long
distance hike last year, but not as happy.

It's more a matter of how you want to spend your money and your time
than a matter of how you get the money and time.  I think there's
definately a bit of a career trade-off, some discipline, focus and
plenty of determination involved for most people.

Karen