[pct-l] Trail Conditions

Since a storm was predicted for this weekend it seemed best to skip Mt. Baden Powell and the rest of section D and do the desert area north from Agua Dulce in section E. I thought the cloud cover and some showers would make it more pleasant. Thursday was great. There was plenty of on trail water. A light rain began in the late afternoon becoming a little heavier by dusk and mixing with sleet by dusk. I decided to take advantage of the shelter of a gazebo like structure near the Green Valley Ranger Station. By morning there was a thin layer of snow on the ground. The weather soon began to clear and the few inches of snow presented no problem until reaching about 4,000 feet of elevation near the Maxwell Truck Trail. The snow was then of enough depth to slow the walking pace and make trail finding more difficult. Beyond the Shake Campground I found I was making only about 1/3 of my usual rate. The breaking crust  increased the effort required considerably. As night fell the wind came up in earnest and the temperature dropped rapidly. I pulled into Bear Campground a little after 11 and spent a cold night. On Saturday morning The weather was bright, clear, and windless, but the snow continued to be an impediment on the north facing slope until dropping below 4,000 feet.

Jack Fair was very hospitable. Three hikers from the San Diego area left a few hours before my arrival. Jack Said that their combined ages exceeded 200. I also got to meet Joanne (goforth). She came in from the north and reported an abundance of snow and strong winds in the Tehachapis. I left before she did but I believe she planned to continue south to Aqua Dulce and hitch a ride to the get together this weekend.