[pct-l] News from the Trail: Goforth

March 30, 1999
Tuesday

Dear Folks
    Water sources -
        Agua Caliente Creek - clear flowing
        Chihuahua Valley Rd - instructions on tank: "Do not
            ask permission. Take water and leave." "Turn valve
            + spill a few gallons, + water will clear." There was
            a single crook-necked pipe from which it looked like
            the valve had been unscrewed. After much circling
            + muttering, my unconscious sent me a message:
            What are the bales of hay doing there? The blue
            valve to turn the water on is under a bale, replace
            after use to prevent freezing. Water was cloudy,
            yellow
        Tule - water low, clear + flowing, better near spring
        Tule Spring - live + well
        Nance Canyon - low, clear + flowing
        Pine to Palms Hiway 74 - restaurant, presently closed
            for remodeling, may open near Easter; 8 - 8 weekends,
            8 - 3:30 M-Th

    As I was double poling along in a moment of boredom, I felt like I was
rowing through the country + started singing "Row, row, row you boat". And
then had the realization of how mystical the song is <G> . Very like the
Prajnaparamita - "Gone, gone, gone to the other shore, arriving to wisdom"
(loose translation). You can see that things have arrived at a new level <G>
.
    Rain + snow forecasted just in time for High Divide + San Jacinto.

                               Goforth

P.S. took a how to climb the 5th peak; most of it was spent on my hands +
knees climbing through chapparal. Found 10 ticks on my back by "toweling" my
back with my cotton tank top repeatedly.