Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #698

"All lies in jest,
Till a man hears what he wants to hear
and disregards the rest" --Paul Simon

Bernie,
Everything you say about "spirit", "weakness of mind", etc. is a value
judgement. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but so is everyone else
entitled to theirs.

My opinion, by the way, is that visiting people in convalescent hospitals or
nursing homes will change your life and your attitude a lot faster than any
trail! [I have done both] If you want something that is "tough, demanding and
will humble you" just walk a hundred beds spending five miniutes with each
occupant. [I couldn't do this by the way. It is simply too heartbreaking and too
frightening.]

The trail is, of course, a myth. It appears that we are separate from
civilization, out there on our own, in tune with nature, relying only on oneself
etc, but that appearance is incorrect. We are just as dependent on civilization
as we always were.

It seems fair, then, that everyone can create for himself, his own illusion,
deciding for himself what it will take to feel "out there."

The most disturbing part of your post was the "Empty water bottles on the
trail". This, like grafitti, is just plain rude. The perpetrators are saying
"The world is my playpen. I don't give a shit about anyone else." The
significance of this is that the support team is trying to decide if they should
lock the water caches so that those who asked for help would be assured of water
or should we assume that hikers are responsible people, considerate of others,
and will act responsibly with the water. Hmmmmmm.........