Re: [pct-l] Water in Section A

Chris is right that the water south of Pioneer Mail Picnic area may be turned
on. Currently, it is off. The Forest Service people we talked to thought that
the water would be turned on just before Memorial Day. One of our action items
is to find out this date for you 99 hopefuls and post it. If this water is on
there will not be a problem till you get to Pioneer Mail Picnic area.

There is lots of conflicting information about water between Pioneer Mail and
Scissors Crossing. A local, in Julian, flat said that there was no water. I
pointed out the water marked on the map [the fire cistern] and he said "No
Water". This doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about or that he thought
of "fire-fighting water" as "water". We are not saying that you can't get to
Scissors Crossing without a water cache. However, if that "fire-fighting" supply
is not available, you are looking at long detours from the trail. 1997 was a
"wet" year, 1998 was "extraordinarily wet" and 1999 promises to be "dry to very
dry"