[pct-l] Water in Section A

I don't want to get involved in any dispute over the offers of water
caching in Section A, but for '99 hopefuls who are debating what to do, I
do want to offer a slight correction to Greg's post about the availability
of water from Mt. Laguna to Barrel Springs, as well as some reflections on
the Campo situation vis a vis Tom's post.

While it's true that even in a wet year, one cannot expect to find any
water between Scissors Crossing and Barrel Springs, in late April of
both'97 and '98 water was not that hard to come by between Mt. Laguna and
Scissors Crossing.  It may also be the case that many of the man-made water
sources in this stretch were not turned on (or filled) when the scouting
party was out, but will be by the time thru-hikers start heading through.
In both years I was told by volunteers near Mt. Laguna that such and such
source had just been filled/turned on.

In both years, it was available right off the trail at the Desert View
Picnic Area bathroom; via a short .2 mile detour at 47.7 to Laguna/El Prado
Campground (which also has coin showers); via a short detour at the GATR
road to water near the Noble Canyon Trailhead (discussed in the '98
Wilderness Press update); at Pioneer Mail Picnic Area, either from the tank
(in '97) or from the headwaters of Cottonwood Canyon (in '98); on the trail
at a couple of the upper tributaries of Oriflamme Canyon (in '98); via a
1.7 mile detour (each way) to Cuyamaca Reservoir (or 1.6 further along the
detour to Los Caballos Campground); at the fire cistern near where the
trail cross the Mason Valley Truck Trail; where the trail crosses Chariot
Canyon Road (in '98)(if you don't find it right there, there are fairly
large pools just a few hundred yards downstream along the road that may
hold water longer; the creek sometimes submerges in this area and then
reappears downstream) or down the road as far as necessary to find water in
the creek or at one of the mines; at the excellent spring via a 1.3 mile
detour (each way) down the Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail.  From here to
Scissors Crossing don't expect to find any water, even in a wet year.

In '97, I took water at Scissors Crossing and didn't find it bad at all.
In '98, I resupplied in Julian, which, though 13.5 miles away, I found to
be a very nice, friendly town, though it lacks a laundromat and cheap
lodging.  (I recommend Mama's Cafe for an outstanding, huge breakfast or
Romano's for excellent Italian).  One can get to Julian via public transit
on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays at 8:45 a.m. from the bus stop at
Scissors Crossing.  Banner, 5 miles from Scissors Crossing has a little
store where you could get water and treats.

Obviously, in drought years (which this year might be?) some of these
sources won't be running.  I simply want to let folks know that the
situation may not require cached water if you'd prefer to avoid such
assistance.

Concerning Campo:  My understanding is that the increase in illegal
crossings near Campo caused by a crack-down further west has been going on
for at least several years.  In this time, I haven't heard of any real
problems, other than a little lost sleep due to aircraft, vehicle and foot
patrols.  Lynne Whelden tells a funny story at the beginning of his video
about encountering a group of illegals, but apparently there wasn't any
trouble.  I didn't see any illegals in '97 or '98 and I camped within a few
miles of the border in '97.  One of the bus drivers on the route from El
Cajon to Campo seems to enjoy scaring the bejesus out of hikers with
stories (probably untrue) and this phenomenon seems to have become
widespread, with other trail "authorities" perpetuating the hype.  I really
believe that the vast majority of illegals crossing near here are not drug
"mules," but simply poor Mexicans trying to make a better life for
themselves by washing our dishes and mowing our lawns.  I imagine the last
thing they want is to confront some unknown anglo backpackers and steal
their food, water or gear.  The more dangerous drug mules have probably
found an easier way into the U.S. than to travel miles cross-country in
head-high chapparal and thickets of poison oak, over rugged terrain, in the
cold of night or heat of day.  They'd rather leave that for us brilliant
thru-hikers.

Hope this helps.

Chris.