Re: [pct-l] River crossings

>If you know of a way for one person to use a rope for fording a creek
>safely, Id really like to know about it.

Rope crossing is very dangerous. My wife and I do a lot of kayaking and I
have had to make a couple rescues in terrible currents. When backpacking
alone, I would loop the rope around the tree so that it is doubled. When you
get to the other side, let go of one end so you can retrieve the rope. With
a 100 foot rope, you only get 50 foot use. It takes quite an angle to cross
and a lot of rope. The more angle you cross at, the more stable you are. I
am sure you have all heard to never tie yourself off. If you slipped, the
rope would hold you under water. Cold water can zap your energy and can
threaten your ablity to think clearly! You may have found that out Brick.
Thank God you made it out!

Dane