RE: [pct-l] Boots with wide toe box

Boots with a wide toe box: Peter Limmer & Sons custom boots.

I had my first Limmer boots made for me 25 years ago and for 10 years
they served me well. I even took these boots with me when I traveled
abroad. Eventually they wore out and for some reason I didn't get a
new pair until 5 years ago. In between that time I almost wore a boot
out a year. I've owned Raichle, Piveta, Asolo, Merrell and Danner and
none of them could measure up to Limmers.

The Limmers I currently own have been resoled twice in five years, but
everything else is in fine condition. I wear these boots for all
types of hikes including day hikes.

The only downfall with these boots is: since they're custom made, it
takes Limmer along time to make them: 2 to 2 1/2 years. They're also
heavy, although not as heavy as my Raichles. If weight is a concern
and you can hike in running shoes, I'd forgo these boots. If you're
like me and shoes are the most important item of your backpacking
equipment, then these are great boots.

Dave

        Dave Encisco
        dencisco@rotorwiz.arc.nasa.gov