Re: [pct-l] Boots with wide toe box

Dave Encisco wrote:

> Boots with a wide toe box: Peter Limmer & Sons custom boots.
>
> The only downfall with these boots is: since they're custom made, it
> takes Limmer along time to make them: 2 to 2 1/2 years. They're also
> heavy, although not as heavy as my Raichles. If weight is a concern
> and you can hike in running shoes, I'd forgo these boots. If you're
> like me and shoes are the most important item of your backpacking
> equipment, then these are great boots.

Dave -
For those who want Limmer "custom made" boots, the wait is longer than -
2 1/2 years.  A friend in PA has been waiting for 3 years now - and was
recently told he'd have to wait another 2 years.

Limmer got "smart", became a big-time businessman, cut back on his
"custom" business and started having his boots mass-produced.  Now he
can sell more boots - faster - and make more money.  If you want the
"mass-produced" Limmers you can buy them "off-the-shelf", although I
don't have an address at the moment. Seems to me that L.L. Bean might be
one of the outlets.

Walk softly,
Jim