RE: [pct-l] Boots with wide toe box

Re: Boots
I am loath to get into boot issues because the best boots are the ones that
fit. However, my two-cents.

1-For true hiking boots I use Danner Lights. These boots are a combination
of 6 ounce leather and codura nylon and have been indestructable. They have
a long, thin last so people with toe jamming problems will find these boots
wonderful. I was able to move from size 12 to 13 without much difficulty
because the heel cup properly gripped my heel and my feet didn't slide in
the larger boot. Basically, my feet had room to grow. They are Gortex. This
works well in snow.

2-I use 'Wicn n' Dry' socks. These socks are a cotten/synthetic mix on the
outside with a built-in synthetic liner on the inside. I do NOT use two
pair of sock.

3-I am not an affectionado of lightweigt boots. I find that light boots
require me to place my feet carefully.This wears my feet out.  With heavier
boots I can simply put them down. This is not to say my boots are 10 pound
clodhoppers. They have only a halk shank to they flex and break in quickly.
However, they grip my heels well and close up tight around my ankles -- and
they'll last a PCT trip.