Re: [pct-l] bear advice on JMT

Thanks for the advice Tom.  I'm leaning towards taking a can at this point.
Clearly the cubs learn a lot during the course of the summer so that the S to
N PCT hikers may not have to deal with some of the problems confronting
travelers later in the year.  So if I take a can even using a cram/jam packing
technique, it would seem that a second resupply stop between Vermilion Valley
and Whitney Portal (130 miles) would be needed unless I could average 17 miles
a day.  That's a lot over that terrain at age 50.  Kearsarge Pass would seem
to be a much better alternative than Bishop Pass for a second stop.  Any ideas
on food drop at Onion Valley TH to avoid having to hitch into Independence?
Could you send me your bear can packing strategy off-line.  Thanks, Bob R.