[pct-l] Slugs and stuff

Can't resist throwing in my two pennies on slugs....  The Olympic Peninsula
is worldly recognized for its density in slugs!  Ever eat 'em fried?
Great, right along with sucking mosquitoes through a straw!  Do you know
that slugs teleport?  Yes, they do, I have evidence!  You can watch a slug
stay relatively motionless in one spot for hours on end, say, the middle of
my shady dirt driveway - then, within mere moments of the last observation,
pouf! They're nowhere to be seen!  Or, even worse, six feet away from the
last sighting!   Yes, slugs are mysterious alien beings from far, far,
away, here to colonize what they can of Earth....  we don't just keep them
as mascots here in Port Angeles, they're members of the family!  I can not
count the number of slugs I have scraped from between my toes in the
summertime.... you kinda get used to it up here, same to stinging nettles
and blackberries.  Slugs on caffeine!  I left a cup of coffee on the porch
when splitting wood one morning, found a slug derriere  on the rim, nose in
the java.  A good forty minutes later he was riding the rim.  I sat down to
scientifically observe the effects of caffeine on slugs.  Now, get this -
SUN SALUTES!  Yes, the slug was taken by yoga.  It raised its head, arced
backwards, streeeetched its feelers, then bowed back to the rim.  Repeated
this 3 times!  Then, on the 4th, continued to go backwards, doubled itself
over and began to circle the rim the opposite way....and so on (damn, we
hillbillies are a cheap date!)
	QUESTION:  What's the average mid-late April desert nightly temperature?
I have just bought a shiny new Sierra Designs women's 15* Polarguard 3-D
bag, but also have an older 10* Walrus - which will work best?  I sleep
warm, been living in a cabin all winter where the average December nightly
temp was between 20-35*
	Troubleshoot: Just swapped my Sweetwater filter for a  new PUR Scout...
pumped my first gallon from the creek on my property without a problem, but
the next time I went to pump I had a hard time getting any `flow' - had to
siphon the air out of the intake hose orally and hold it level with water
in it before I could get a good pump - the prefilter was completely
submerged when I first tried pumping & all that.... I don't want to have to
do this where the water has a high contaminate concentration!  Any
suggestions?  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is this just a `new pump'
thing, or have I been jipped?

		Quote for the day - `success is achieved despite of fear, not because of
it' - anon.
		Shine!   Shoshanna Coyote-Rains
				at: rookie@olypen.com