Re: [pct-l] ice axe arrest and swell feet

> Practice all of them, please! It's important that you know how to hold an
> axe so you don't hurt yourself.

Yes, yes, yes!

> Of course, the best thing is don't fall!

IMHO one of the best ways to follow this advice is to use some form of
instep crampons. They don't weight much and can make a huge difference
on hard snow.

> On feet swelling: I wonder if tennis shoes (ok, running shoes) with their
> lack of support, let the feet swell more than hiking boots? I also prefer
> to hike in sneakers. It feels so much faster.

I'm envious of all who can hike in running shoes. My ankles beg for
support and I'm not an ultra-light person. Those two combined put me in
hiking boots. I'm looking for the lightest weight ones I can find that
still have decent support. Any suggestions? I have a wide foot (I, too,
have watched my feet both widen and lengthen in my hiking/climbing
years) and need a real wide toe box. Appreciate any ideas.

--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are."
-- e.e. Cummings