Re: [pct-l] ice axe arrest and swell feet

At 09:50 PM 2/14/99 -0700, Margo Chisholm wrote:

>IMHO one of the best ways to follow this advice is to use some form of
>instep crampons. They don't weight much and can make a huge difference
>on hard snow.

From my experience,instep crampons wouldn't have been very useful. The snow
was usually soft enough to not need them. The only time I really wanted
some form of crampon, it was too steep for insteps to work, I would have
needed at least 10 points.  Ended up chopping steps.

If I had a choice between crampons or and ice axe, the axe would win hands
down/

--
Brick Robbins                     Life is a Journey, not a Destination
mailto:brick@fastpack.com        http://www.fastpack.com/brick