[pct-l] Feet, Percentages, Heat, Etc

I'm (still) a PCT hopeful that gave it a solid try in '94.  I call now call
myself "One of the 90" (percent).  Maybe this year I can become "One of the
400" but having trouble coming up with the money.  My training is going ok,
though.

I prepared very well for my trip, including two week-long Winter
Mountaineering classes in the Adirondacks and Whites with the Adirondack
Mountain Club, and long hikes throughout the Adirondacks, although my
longest hike before the PCT had been about 120 miles.

I left the trail after about 350 miles -- right after Wrightwood (!!).  My
feet were in agony.  I started off with Limmer Stock boots, size 10.5,
custom-sized by Peter Limmer himself.  They seemed to fit fine.  After 200
miles in Southern California, they were far too small, despite an
over-night stretch in Idyllwild, and the soles were beginning to
delaminate.  I laid-over in Big Bear for about 10 days, and ordered four
pairs of new boots of two types and two sizes, and went with size twelves.
 I endured until Wrightwood, stayed for a while and returned hospitality of
the local folks by working on their plumbing, but my return to the trail
didn't last long and I took the bus home to East Coast.  My feet troubles
were not blisters -- I rarely get them -- but pressure on the ends of the
two longest bones.  Nearly everyone that came through Wrightwood had that
complaint and the complaint that their light-weight boots were falling
apart.

It was two years until my forefeet stopped hurting.  A year after I
returned home I tried again at home to make the boot thing work -- my
proper size for a cramponable boot from REI with propo liner and
medium-heavy wool socks was 13!  My key concern was to be able to use
crampons on the snowy slopes.  I had met two fellow hikers (one who wore
running shoes) that had fallen on Fuller Ridge and were forced to use
ice-axe arrest.  Both were bruised and scabbed up all along one leg.  The
running-shoe hiker had taken 30 feet to stop.

I am now working hard to make Ray Jardine's running shoe thing work and it
seems to be fine on both pavement and in the Connecticut woods.  That plus
a continuous calf and Achilles tendon stretching program seem to help for
the 4.5 hour walks I've been doing every day.

Hopefully I can get up to the White Mountains soon to work on running shoes
+ ice axe + snowy slopes.

After I returned, I came up with several major areas that I needed to fix
before I could succeed.

-- Have a companion. This was actually a minor issue because I could have
hiked with the others that I met on the trail (and did for short times) but
my feet problems were slowing me way down.

-- Fix the feet problem.  I also have a foot condition called ligamentus
laxitus which does not make for good biomechanics.  Although I had
orthotics on the PCT, I have worked more with them now and have watched my
foot motion much more carefully.

-- Do something about the heat.  The heat was a real killer. I had a white
ball cap but the sun really affected me.  I am much more comfortable in the
Adirondacks at -27F.  I have now used an umbrella in torrential downpours
with minimal clothing underneath with no problem.  I am sure that the
reflective Mylar would do the trick for heat.

-- Eat more effectively.  My Power Bars gave out too quickly.  I only
realized after reading Ray's book that much of my sheer exhaustion was due
to not enough food.  I have read that calorie-forcing is a key ingredient
in climbing Everest.  I have just received a 10lb box of CORN PASTA and am
going to work with it to see if I can tell any difference.

-- Lighten up.  I still was in a Winter Mountaineering mindset with the
Sierras in sight.  Even though some other hikers had 10lb tents (did they
make it to Canada?) and I had only a 4lb NF Tadpole, that was too much.

-- Do better with my mail drops.  My intention was to buy as I went, with
the idea that that was more flexible, that it would help me adjust my
schedule, and that it was more "natural."  But the problems I ran into were
a) when I finally arrived in town, and wanted to just "pop" back to the
trail, my mind was too fried by the sun to think properly; and b) the extra
time it took to repackage, buy Ziplocks, cut oversize peanut butter jars in
half for the drift box, etc, combined with post-office schedules, turned
out to be a major momentum killer.  The next time (this year?) I would have
a solid base of reliable food and supplement from the local store as
desired.

Some things I know I did right --

-- I stayed hydrated.  My rule of thumb was 1 liter for every five miles,
but that was excessive.  I usually had water left over.  Next time I would
use a rule of 1 liter per seven/eight miles, and camel more at the sources.
 The 7-liter water bag I used worked very well.  I used a Katadyn
mini-filter but this time I probably would not treat and hope my system
would adjust. My wife and I (now separated) traveled extensively overseas
and essentially never filtered because of fear of offending our hosts --
occasional diarrhea but would have had that anyways -- filter or no.

-- I kept track of my position with compass and altimeter.  I always knew
exactly where I was. This was helpful in the bowl before Idyllwild.

-- I practiced self-arrest before I left.  I am quite sure through
conversation that many of my fellow hikers had never even tried it before
they hit snow-bound Fuller Ridge.

Couple of last comments --

 -- I met some "Jardinites" and I did resent them, partly because my trip
was failing, my desperation was increasing and my mileage was decreasing
and they were doing fine (20+/day and going up).  And partly because they
may have been a little contemptuous for the same reasons.

-- I now have Ray Jardine's 2nd volume and am studying it carefully.  Most
of what he says, from what I can tell, is right on.  For those readers who
don't know, it is entitled "The Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Handbook" and
is available from amazon.com.  This is an UNPAID endorsement!

-- Although I have had many experiences, the PCT is the hardest thing I
have ever tried to do.

-- Good luck with your attempts this year.  Hopefully I will meet you on
the trail.

-- Dave Stockton

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net