[pct-l] Re: Trails

Hi Helen -

Thanks for the suggestions.  My Dad died 2/3/9 after a bout with cancer.
I haven't felt like writing or haven't had anything to say, but I have
to tell you, reading this hiking list has been a real comfort to me.
Funny huh?  People who are technically (?) strangers?  But of course one
of the things we all have in common is love of wilderness, and for me
and I think you, a love of the Sierras.  More of an obsession in my
case.  Their very existence (the Sierras) strengthens, defines,
illustrates what life is supposed to be about and the manner in which we
are supposed to live.  When I get to the Sierras on the weekend, they
stay with me all week while I am working and interacting with my family
and others.  Their image reminds me of what is important and beautiful
in life, keeps my priorities straighter.  When I am in the Sierras, the
other part of the world, daily life, on one hand, seems trivial, but yet
on the other, not trivial, but rather as simple as it is meant to be.
How can you have a picture of Silver Lake or Margaret, and a beautiful
peak, held in your mind and at the same time, live in a way that is not
beautiful?  The image of the Sierras overwhelms pettiness in my life and
reminds me to just very simply, be kind, be charitable, keep trying to
do the right thing.  The image reminds me of the years and years of
patience that effect change and make wilderness what it is, and yes,
even the occasional drastic earthquake and flood and avalanche that
occurs, that ends up creating more beauty in relationships and in
government and the world in general, if followed or birthed in positive
intentions and honesty (ok - sometimes even if just simply happening
without us even knowing what was going on!).

So anyway - as I was saying! - coming home and reading this list has
been a wonderful distraction for me in my grief, and a reminder that
life is beautiful.  I appreciate everyone's posts and time and thanks
for the info.

Mary

Helen wrote:

>Mary I haven't noticed any recent posts by you.  Maybe you have been
out of
>town.
>One of your posts mentioned that you really enjoyed the area around
Carson