[pct-l] Re: Trails

Hi again Helen -

Thanks to all who sent their thoughts and regards after my dad's death.
I appreciate your kindness.  He was cremated and his ashes buried at a
cemetary about one mile from my home - I can almost see my home from his
spot.  But better yet, he chose a sight next to a golf course and left
his excellent set of clubs to my husband, who now can use the clubs and
see my Dad's new place while hitting balls!  My Dad would REALLY love
that.

Helen, you spoke of the desire to hike the whole trail versus the
concern of passing through too fast on your way to a goal:

>I have been struggling with the concern that simply racing along the
trail
>with two goals, starting and finishing, means that I will treat the
>mountains as an obstacle rather than as a holy place.  I have given
serious
>consideration to not walking the PCT for this reason but Oh the chance
>spend so many weeks wallowing in their beauty, their serenity and yes
their
>awful savagery.

Hey - ain't there time to do both?  Both are certainly worthy goals.

I know what you mean though - some days I want go make miles, and some
days I just want to walk just up to the top of that ridge overlooking
Shealor Lake on one side and Silver on the other, and just sit on a
granite couch and be there.  The whole place just permeates my pores!  I
often wonder if I lived there if I would appreciate it as much.  OH
YEAH!!!!!!!  Problem is, I would never be able to do anything but just
sit and stare and breathe!

Mary