Re: [pct-l] ..Cholla Cactus

I grew up in the the Mojave area and have done a lot of desert fieldwork as a
geologist and have found that a floppy wide brim cotton hat is great.  The
inexpensive solution is to grab any old light colored baseball cap, cut the
bottom 12" off of lightweight cotton pants, split the 12" pant leg and sew it to
the back of the cap starting where the bill ends on the side.  I discovered this
method when I was completing my field camp in 1980 in the Inyo/White Mountains
and I was dirt poor.

I have found that ridged hats (straw, etc.) hit the back of your backpack and
blow off easier.

Owen K