Re: [pct-l] Volume of a cube vs. a cylinder

At 09:40 PM 1/26/99 -0800, Joanne Lennox wrote:
>Brooks Hull has put me on the false assumption that I made in making my
>backpack.

I've made several backpacks for "fastpacking" and adventure racing, and
even made the pack I used on my thru-hike.

First off, don't count on using your first try. Whenever I did a major
redesign, it always took at least two tries to get it right. Second, the
planned volume had no bearing the actual volume when I was done.

The easiest way to measure the actual volume is to buy a BIG bag of dried
beans and fill up the pack, then measure them as you pour them out.

The beans make good "practice" weight for training hikes too!

Hike your own hike

Brick