[pct-l] Volume of a cube vs. a cylinder

Brooks Hull has put me on the false assumption that I made in making my
backpack.

It turns out that the volume of a cube and a circle, given the same
"perimeter"  and height are  quite different.  I made my pack and designed
it as a rectangle, when in fact it is closer to a cylinder. And the
diferernce is more than 1000 cu in.

If you take a cube that is 12 inches are each side (48 inches around), and
that is 12 inches high, you have a volume of 1728 cu in.

If you take a cylinder that has a circumference of 48 inches and is 12
inches high, you have a volume of 2200 cu in.  A difference of 472 cu in.

When you stuff your sleeping bag you are creating volume not just
compressing space (my stuff sack is squared on the end). Maybe it is time
to rethink my tent design.

I would still like to know how much capacity the thruhikers used

Amazed
Goforth