Re: [pct-l] Re: Filters, Iodine, etc.

In a message dated 1/24/99 4:57:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cmkudija@earthlink.net writes:

<< We have also used a product that combines peroxide & chlorine "Sierra Pure"
 maybe?  I'm not certain of the brand name.  I found that the chlorine taste
 was too much for me. >>

Christine,

When my friend Chuck and I hiked the JMT in '96, we used chlorine crystals to
sanitize our water in camp. We had a 3-gal bag which provided enough pure
water for dinner, breakfast and to fill water bottles before hitting the
trail. We also added hydrogen peroxide (later) to neutralize the chlorine
taste. Worked fine for us.

If we needed extra water during the day, we used iodine in the water bottle
with a small piece of Vitamin C tablet thrown in to neutralize the iodine
taste (add vitamin C after the iodine has had time to sanitize the water).

I can't read the label anymore, but it looks like it came from Santa Fe, NM.
Has anyone else used this method and do you still have the mailing address to
order more?