[pct-l] What is success?

Thank you Jim for those wonderful words about what makes a hike successful,
they were so full of understanding!  Walt and I ended our hike in '97 at
Sierra City not Monument 78. We have mixed feelings to this day, but not a
feeling a failure, just one of uncompleteness.  Our hope was to hike from
Mexico to Canada, but it was not our main goal.

Before we had even gotten to the town of Campo, Walt and I both agreed that
if we got 5, 10, even 100 miles up the PCT, our hike would be an adventure,
Canada was not our goal, just a destination!  Hiking the PCT was going to be
our Adventure, we had never done any long distance hiking before.  By the
way, what amount of mileage hiked constitutes a long distance hike anyway?
We set down our own personal mileage of 500 miles and celebrated our new
achievement at this distance, every mile after that was just "icing on the
cake" so to speak.  Being content about ourselves and what we were doing was
so important.  Yes, our family was not sure about what we were doing, but
they didn't give us a hard time or tell us they thought we were "crazy" at
our age to be heading out into the wilderness without a gun, gps, or a
phone. Some work associates, acquaintances and people we met in towns along
the PCT were the main ones who handed out criticisims and asked us "why
would anyone spend 4-5 months in the woods trying to get killed?"  Our
response -- "I will be safer there than you will be here driving to work
each day. Why wouldn't I want to escape!" By and large most people were
envious and proud of us for our committment and the adventure we were about
to embark upon.  Even wishing they had the "guts" to sell their home, retire
early and head out west, far from home!  There were even a few people we
didn't know who heard about our adventure and followed our example and set
out on their own adventure -- what a blessing!

I agree with you Jim about "success," it is PERSONAL state of being!  Ray
Jardin says in his book that when you hike the PCT you need to realize that
this is your JOB for the next 4-5 months.  You will endure heat,
dehydration,cold,life threatening situations, physical pain and even
depression -- this hike is not for everyone and NO ONE has a right to judge
you anyway as to how to hike or how long you hike.

Walt and I are not going back because we think we failed our hike by not
reaching Canada, but because we are in love with the trail.  It is a
challenge, a rebirth, a "stretching of the rubberband" as our friend Bob
tells me.  Since '97 hardly a day goes by that Walt and I don't have
flashbacks about those days on the PCT -- not all are happy ones, but most
are.  We have been married for 35 years and there has always been a special
bond between us -- we are "Soul Mates."  Our shared adventure on the PCT
added something so unique to that bond it is not describable.  It doesn't
take much to evoke a memory of our hike and both of us are usually
remembering the same event at the same time -- how rare and blessed!  Unless
you have tasted pineapple you can't describe it, or even miss it!  That is
the way the PCT and long distance hiking is for us.  Nobody has the right
to tell us we failed or are "crazy" just because they don't understand -- I
can't even expect them to -- I didn't until I went! Hiking and long distance
hiking it is in our blood now and we just pray that God will grant us at
least 10 more years to be able to experience this wonderful adventure
together on many trails.

To all of you who are also heading out on the PCT in '99 we hope you too
will come away with a sense of wonder and peace that will fill all the
spaces that are empty now.  Be proud of yourself, even if you get 1 mile
down that road -- you made the trip out, planned and sacrificed -- to fill a
need to go adventuring -- you will grow stong within yourself!

Thanks again Jim, sorry to get so long winded everyone.

The Happy Trails Couple