[pct-l] Re: Filters, Iodine, etc.

On our trip in '94, my husband & I tried Ray Jardine's "bucket" & filter
method & were left hanging waiting for the water to drip through while those
with something like a PUR 'scout" pumper were on their second quart...But we
opted not to use iodine because some time after a JMT hike in '82 (&
numerous other Sierran weekends using iodine as a water purifier) my husband
was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis - required surgery & is now
permanently on thyroid supplementation.
Now, IMHO, we really don't know and can't prove whether there was a
cause-effect relationship to drinking dilute iodine and his thyroid disease,
but we've stopped using that method.  Just in case.
We have also used a product that combines peroxide & chlorine "Sierra Pure"
maybe?  I'm not certain of the brand name.  I found that the chlorine taste
was too much for me.  The PUR Scout is lightweight, doesn't fry your arm &
shoulder in pumping, & quick.  I'd recommend it (we've also tried the First
Need & a Katadyne model without much happiness).

Christine

Christine Kudija
0951 Palatine Hill Road
Portland, OR  97219