[pct-l] repeat meseges, mountainsmith packs

First of all, I think all the letter duplicates come from people including
the original messege in their replies.  It would make things much cleaner
if you answer "No" to the prompt "include original messege in reply" when
you send your mail to the list. Anyway, maybe that will help...

As for mountainsmith packs: as an outdoor educator, I see alot of packs
in the field, often getting a month or more of abuse.  I have never seen
a mountainsmith complete a thirty day wilderness trip without major blow
outs.  I think the older ones (as in ones made over 5 years ago) were
better quality, but the ones Ive seen in the last few years are useless.
The packs are poorly sewn, have bad suspension, and those things all over
the outside (elastic-mesh stuff) always fall off.  As for packs that are
durable: Danadesigns are always winners, but are among the heaviest and
most expensive (you get what you pay for.)  Compromises include Ospreys
(the Advent is "lightweight", comfortable and roomy- 5000ci, with
convertible hipack) and Lowe Alpine packs. These are the brands the
schools I work for use (NOLS among them) and they have proven themselves
over many miles and months of use.

Best of luck- and hey, I recently talked to the Osprey rep (are you on
this list?) he's a through hiker and friends with Weathercarrot, and he was
very friendly and useful!  I love the new Advent he sent me.

-Charlotte