Re: [pct-l] footwea -- additional info

I forgot one of the most important of all footwear equipment
-- orthotics OR superfeet.  Hope those of you who were on
the list last year don't get tired of my speil on
"orthotics," but I can't stress enough how much they made a
difference to my feet and the rest of my bod and kept me on
the trail.  They are a MUST for me! If you can't go to a
podiatrist and get fitted for orthotics, go to the shoe
store, outdoor gear store, Sports Authority -- whatever and
try superfeet out now.  You'll be surprised how they can
help your feet and back in just your everyday walking.  Take
OUT the shoe inserts and place the superfeet in.  I don't
recommend getting a cheap brand name -- I did and they don't
last half as long and they also fell apart.

>Did you carry sandals from the get go, and what kind did
you carry?  Both Walt and I carried a pair of Reebock
sandles that were on the bargain table at the outlet store -
-cost was $5 each and I wish we had picked up a couple more
pairs of them -- we still use them but the soles are getting
a bit thin and the fabric sides are a little stretched and
thin.  Walt made the mistake of cutting off the strap that
tighted the sandal over his foot.  The end result was
that this made his sandals less secure when we forded in
heavy currents and on slippery rocks (he was trying to save
weight!)  Walt also sent his sandals home before the Sierras
and wished he hadn't because then he had no other shoe to
change into for town or just walking around in at night.
Sandals are much easier to get into when you have to get out
of your tent to fertilize a tree -- or whatever.  I really
enjoyed having a change of footwear, and my sandals helped
me to air my feet out often and also to air out my hiking
shoes since I wasn't in them.  I changed into sandals at
lunch, to go for a dip in the water (who knows what is on
the bottom in some muddy places), in the desert (with socks
on so my feet wouldn't get sunburned!), and for deep fording
when my boots weren't already wet and I wanted to keep my
boots dry.  If we knew we were coming to a section with a
lot of fords (didn't most of the time) we just crossed in
our boots.  It is too much trouble to change shoes/sandals,
at every crossing, especially when you were fighting the
mosquitoes or other bugs!

>I wish the goretex socks would work for me but my feet
sweat so that they just get wet from the inside.

I would still suggest taking goretex socks in the Sierras --
it really helps keep your feet warm.  It does sound like you
have a great deal of Mountaineering experience and have
probably made your winter foot condition choices already.

>I wish you happy and healthy feet :-)

Thanks Margo, they are much happier feet today than have
ever been.  Thanks also for the great Class '99 Roster!

Pat -- Happy Trails Couple