[pct-l] 99 Starting Date

I distinctly remember aiming for early April, even considering late March
in '77 because and only because it was such a light winter in California.
The Sierra's had little snow, Mammoth had one of its worst years for skiing
and the San Gabriel Mountains had little snow.

It was considered an ideal year for trying to thruhike the trail because of
the extended hiking season.  You '99ers might just get lucky this year
also!  Track the snow reports in the Sierra's, San Gabriel's and San
Bernardino's, stay flexible and take off early if the weather allows.  It
will mean that YOU DONT HAVE TO WALK SO FAR EACH DAY!

Be warned, however, that late spring (May, early June) snow storms in the
Sierra's can be heavy, wet and mileage challenging.

Each year is its own.  Stay flexible and leave when YOU judge to be best
based on your skills, equipment and mental outlook.  And be good Scouts and
BE PREPARED.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

PES:  I hope to join some of you '99ers on the trail for a short stint if
my time, work and family allow!