[pct-l] Re: foot size growing on a thruhike of PCT

Charlie II,

Thanks for the info Charlie. As always, more information brings up more
questions.

<< I still have a sore spot that may (or may not) be related to my distance
hiking vices.  I seem to have developed a problem with the way that the joint
works where my big toe joins with my right foot.  My big toe bends back MUCH
less than normal before it jams against the bone it joins into at the top of
the foot.  It gets sore when I walk more than a few miles (even around town).
...  >>

Where does this sore spot occur?

I had developed a sore spot also (on the side by the base of the big toe, just
above the ball of the foot). Friends thought it might be a bunion which
required surgery. Unless I bumped it, it was just sore. When I bumped it, it
was darned painful. Not knowing what to do about that, I moved on to other
things.

I bought a pair of Super Feet and put them to the test, not really knowing
what to expect from them. Following the instructions, I did not wear them on
even day hikes until my feet (and legs) had a chance to get used to them.
Since I do volunteer work in the San Diego Wild Animal Park twice a week, I
put the Super Feet in my work boots. Generally, I wear those boots about 5-6
hours a day for 2 days a week. After a couple of months of that, I decided I'd
wear them on a day hike (actually, 2 back-to-back day hikes of 15.4 and 20.0
miles). I had no problems other than a little soreness across the width of my
foot beginning at the ball. I attributed that to just too many miles. That's
also when I realized that the side of my foot wasn't sore any more. I'm not
really sure just when it stopped being sore.

Two weeks ago, I did two more back-to-back hikes (11.8 and 14.2 miles) with
Feet Savers in my hiking boots.

After the day hikes, I left the Feet Savers in my hiking boots and just used
pads in my working boots. Back to the WAP, working twice a week ... then one
day, I realized the side of my foot was "painful when bumped" again. So now,
I've moved my Super Feet back to my work boots where I'll wear them twice a
week. I also put more Super Feet on my list of things to buy at REI during my
next visit.

I realize that the testing that I have done is not absolute, but my feet sure
feel better when I wear those Feet Savers. Even if it's all in my head, it
feels good.

<< ... but I have been able to figure out how to build up under the ball of
the "Super Feet" insert with duct tape to mostly solve the problem. >>

How did you do that? I tried using half a Dr. Scholls pad to cushion the ball
of my feet (mixed results).

<< While I am tempted to answer with a simple "no", I had better fess up and
say:  "yes, at least one of my feet has continued to have at least one sore
spot during the month following my walk on the CDT".  >>

Thanks for all the info.

Have a great week,
Charlie Jones