[pct-l] Re: Shoe Size

Thanks all, for all the imput.

To Charlie Thorp: Well, from one rock to another, it looks like I may have
made the same mistake this summer. On a Sierra l0 day, 11 peak bash, I
distinctly remember asking my climbing partner if his feet and legs
continuously ached, and were especially sore on the looong days.
Mystified, he said "no", as he proceeded to take off his soft boots, which
were little more than high topped running shoes.  I, on the other hand, was
wearing a "real mountain boot" (i.e. one that you can affix crampons to),
and thought the soreness probably related to the weight and stiffness of
the boot.  In addition, because I was the only one with stiff boots, I was
the only one kicking steps in the hard snow, and that is definitely hard on
the feet and ankles.  significantly, I had also taken out the insole, which
had some arch support, and replaced it with a flat sorbothane insole. This
morning I was pondering the fact that for many years I was climbing in the
sierras with running shoes (not on snow), sandals, or soft boots, and I can
not remember the characteristic foot and leg pains which I got with my
heavy climbing boots years earlier and this summer. Usually, the heavier
the mountaineering, the heavier the boot that I take, so that I have always
assumed that it was the activity, or the boot causing the discomfort rather
than the lack of a arch support.  The theory needs more field testing; I
plan on a 600 mile 5 month traing test, and will hopefully make a 2700 mile
field test starting next April.

What brand are these 2,000 mile boots that you have? Did you retire them
after the CDT bash?  What is the sole like, do they have straight or round
heels ( you can't plunge step with rounded heels), and how heavy are they?

Could you please elaborate on the "airwashing" for those of us who have
stinky feet hovering menacingly in the background.

I just talked to my twin sister, who got the long slim legs and  pretty
face, and a size l2 foot.(mine were a size 7).  Her feet haven't grown at
all, thank the Lord, and guess what?  Her feet are flat!

I thank you again.  Your experience ( and your son"s) has been very
helpful.
Joanne

Thoreau: The Universe is wider than our views of it.