Re: [pct-l] Re: Dogs on the PCT

I have a dog. I think dogs are great & I'd love to take mine, but
I've decided that it would be best to leave her home. (She's a little
itty bitty dog & couldn't carry her own food or water if I took her.)
I've also decided that the thru hike is hard enough without
adding the extra complications, planning etc. for my dog.

I just wanted to comment to anyone who does choose to take a
dog on the thru hike with them ... please be really really responsible
about cleaning up after them when they poop & keeping them away
from people who seem to mind dogs etc. The reason I'm asking this
is that what happens all too often is one irresponsible dog owner
can make matters worse for all other dog owners. All it takes for dogs
& their owners to get bad reputaions is one badly trained dog or one
owner that doesn't clean up after them. & Then everyone who has
well behaved dogs suffers. ( I'm only pointing this out b'c this is
probably a large part of the reason that dogs aren't allowed on
certain parts of the trail.)

Again, I love dogs & will be most happy when I see them on the
trail  (or better yet, when I get to hike along with someone who's
got their dog with them) .. I just want to remind all the other
dog owners to be extra responsible, so that the
annoying "dog haters" don't get any extra
reasons to discriminate against dogs & their owners.

Thanks,

Rebecca Williams