[pct-l] Hiking with dogs

Dogs on the PCT! .......ooooah! ..............Do I hear violins playing?

My experience is that dog owners are often very insensitive about the
effects that their dog(s)has on others in the vicinity.  The recommendation
to just "go for it", and disregard park regulations by thru hiking with the
dog through the park, can only reinforce this view.  It is not only the
owner that is hiking with the dog, it is everybody behind them on the
trail, as well as everybody that they pass on the trail and everybody in
the area where they camp.

Perhaps there are substantial reasons that they are not allowed in the
National Park system; there has been no discussion of these reasons, only
what is good for the dog owner and the dog.  Is this the "me" generation
speaking?

ONe of the many reasons that dogs are not allowed in Parks is that they
chase the wildlife(including other people):  I am sure a lot of dog owners
realize this and have made a decision that the company of their dog is
worth this drawback ( a lot of dog owners think it is cute : "Dogs will be
dogs").  However, the person traveling behind them on the trail has no
choice, that decision was already made for them by the dog owner.  It is
unfortunate that the wildlife learns that they get chased by dogs, so that
even if a mild manner, polite, nonchasing dog comes down the trail, the
effect is the same.  See the beautiful deer calmly grazing at Viddette
Meadow!  Hope you get there before the first dog of the morning.

Personally, the problem that I find disturbing is being barked at by a dog
on the trail, especially where the owner either does not call the dog, or
where he simply allows the dog to come back and continue barking .  A
concommittant problem is that the dog will follow just behind you barking,
his intent is to put you in a vulnerable position and it creates a real
sense of unease. The dogowners worst response is to say to the other person
"it"s okay!  He wouldn't hurt you!"  How can I trust the opinion of a
complete stranger, who is so emotionally attached to his dog that he thinks
the only way his dog can be a problem is if that dog physically attacks me.

Have you ever had a dog pee on your sleeping bag? On your pack?

It bothers me that people who prefer not to have dogs on the trail are
simply seen as anti-dog, rather than examining the issue on a more
substantative level.  I get along with dogs, and I have hiked with dogs,
and I prefer not to.  On the great majority of the PCT, I do not have a
choice, but I do in the National Parks.  Both backcountry guard stations
and patroling rangers now have radios. the nice thing is that any message
can be relayed over a large area.

Goforth

Thoreau: "The universe is wider than our view of it."