[pct-l] Re: Dogs on the PCT

 In 97 for the first couple of months I had the pleasure of hiking with a
group that included two dogs (Kenya and Alaska).  The dogs carried their own
food and water but seemed to dread having the little packs put on them.  They
certainly enjoyed themselves though.  I think the only reason they didn't like
the packs was because they couldn't understand why they had to carry them
every day.  They were put into a kennel in Palmdale for the Mojave section and
when they were spotted after two days in the Sierras a nice lady in
Independance said her daughter would take care of them for 7 dollars a day.
Some long hitch-hikes were necesary to get them back but it all worked out
well.  The only reason they were spotted in the Sierras was because we went
down to a busy campground where a ranger was on duty.  If we had stayed on the
trail we could have made it all the way to Yosemite without being seen because
rangers aren't too common on the trail and you would have a good chance of not
seeing one.  If you do, just play dumb and they will most likely just ask you
to go to the nearest exit of the park (which might be where you are going).