Re: [pct-l] No Dogs No

In a message dated 10/23/98 10:23:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, carl@remss.com
writes:

<< Parks forbidding dogs, and what we did:

 1.  Anza-Borrego	Dogs forbidden in back country

 Hiked right on through. ...

 2.  San Jacinto	Dogs forbidden in back country

 Hiked into Idyllwild  -- Nazi Ranger at camp hassled us and made us promise
 to hike around San Jacinto.  We ignored her.  ... Got caught by a back
country
 ranger on the way to Fuller ridge.  Ranger didn't do anything when we
explained
 what we were doing and that we were leaving the park very soon.

 3.  Sequoia and Kings Canyon and Yosemite.  Dogs forbidden in back country

 Dog sabbatical.  We had to take a week off ourselves so my partner could
 take medical boards.  Friends met us at Sonora Pass to hike with us and
 brought the dog back after we had hiked these parks.  We did these in July
 with the back country rangers in place.

 4.  Lassen	Dogs forbidden in back country

 Hiked through the park in one day.  Got accosted at the campground in the
 middle (I forgot the name) by a volunteer camp host.  >>

FWIW, I think it's irresponsible of anyone to advise another hiker to ignore
any Park Rule/Regulation.

And even if one decides that rules/regulations are for "others" to follow,
what about your dog? Did you ask your dog if he/she wants to become a thru-
hiker? Does taking your dog on a 2,600 mile hike border on abuse to animals?
Do you consider yourself a dog lover and then subject them to abuse like this?

Think about it ... and then, please, leave you dog at home.

Charlie Jones