Re: [pct-l] bear manners

<<I also know about thruhiking because I've done it.  How much
 thruhiking have you done?  We both know the answer to that - and I'd
 like to know why you expect your past experience to give you that
 knowledge. You know better than that.

 There's nothing insulting at all about what I said - it's nothing but
 common sense>>

But it IS insulting for snotty thru-hikers to look down their noses at
non-"thru-hikers," and attempt to belittle them via the lame-ass notion of
"it's a thru-hiker thing, you wouldn't understand." The elitist arrogance of
that particular attitude continues to be a major problem in the long-distance
hiking community. And it really bums me out. Please refrain from such.

 <<That's where you lost it - one 8-10 day hike is one thing. The second,
 third and fourth 8-10 day hikes are a transition region.  By the fifth
 8-10 day hike you're in a totally different world, my friend.  And
 you've never been there.
 You've oversimplified the process because you have no idea whatever
 about the personal, emotional, spiritual - or physical effects of your
 multiple 8-10 day hikes.  If you want to know -- then go find out.>>

Now just who lost it here, really? Don't gimme that over-romanticized krapola
about how ThruHiking is such an intense activity on so many levels (you may
well be to ThruHiking what George F. Will is to Baseball). Hiking the AT or
the PCT ain't that hard. It's walking. One direction. On an established, well-
maintained path. Complete with guidebooks. And other hikers to boot. It is not
a 2000 plus mile hike, but a series of shorter hikes. Yeah, other factors come
into play (e.g., big-ass appetite), but that's really what it basically is all
about. Please find some other venue to puff out your feathers, it really bums
me out.

 <<Now - let's get back to the basic question again -- where are the
 thruhikers who have lost their food to the bears?  If there are none,
 then there is no problem in that regard, is there?  And if that's true,
 then why should they carry bear cans?

 C'mon guys - I want to hear from you. If I'm wrong, then lets eat the
 crow and get it over with.  :-) >>

On the AT I saw two bears in Shenendoah National Park. One prob'ly knew I was
there, but chose to ignore me. The other turned and fled the moment it sensed
me from at least a [American] football field away. I also saw one in New
Jersey. It disappeared as soon as I noticed it, again at a distance.

On the PCT I saw but two bears: one in California somewhere near Tahoe area
and one in Washington. Both ran away at top speed. For the record, I never
hung my food, and I did not carry a canister.

On neither hike did I lose any food to bears (although I did lose some to
rodents).

Back to the issue at hand, please refrain from taking such a superior
attitude. It really bums me out.

Sincerely yours,
Former Attorney General Ed Meese