Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #470

>I once knew a fellow who worked as a baggage loader for the airlines.  He
>quit because his peers were frequently sifting through baggage, keeping
>whatever appealed to them at the time.  "It was like a shopping spree," he
>once commented

We have shipped our backpacks to Europe (4 plane changes each way) for the
last six years and have had no problems.  I pack the stove inside the pots
in my pack and we carry the fuel bottle on the plane with us filled with
water.  It is our "drinking water"!!  I use a Whisperlite  and let it sit in
the sun for several days with the "bike cable" pulled out so all fuel has
evaporated.

Our packs are not enclosed in anything.  We tighten all the straps and tie
the shoulder straps together.  I then use the small white cable ties that
you get a Radio Shack to "lock" all zippered pockets closed.  I know it wont
stop a dedicated thief but it keeps the casual baggage handler from opening
the pockets to see what is inside.  They are hard to see so you are not
"advertising" that the pack is locked and hence drawing attention to it.  I
find that it takes me about 30 seconds to open each cable when I already
have a clippers so it will take someone else a lot longer than that if they
aren't prepared.  Just remember to have a fingernail clipper, knife or some
other way to open them when you get off the plane and pack enough spares so
that you can "lock" your pack at the other end.

Hope this provides some help and good luck on the trail.

bill
Bill Deutschman
Oregon Laser Consultants
455 Hillside Avenue
Klamath Falls ( about 20 minutes by car from the trail), OR 97601-2337
olcbill@cdsnet.net